Here's your sign...

Today started out like many of the other days where I have had to get up and get both kids ready for preschool. We had a nice breakfast together but then it was a mad rush to get everyone dressed and out the door on time. After dropping both of them off, I had a list of errands to run. As I was turning into the parking lot of the first stop on my list, I saw an event happening outside a fast food establishment. The tent and signs caught my eye and when I passed close enough to read them I saw they said “St. Jude’s Radiation. Help us save kids.” (or something very similar to that.) Immediately I felt tears well to my eyes as I was struck by the reminder that even innocent children are undergoing the harsh reality of cancer and radiation. My own kids came to mind too; and while they have frequently been battling illness for the past 8 months, what they have experienced is nothing akin to the tortures of radiation burns, IV therapy, and hospital life. I said a prayer of thanks right then and there to the Lord for keeping our problems “light and simple” in comparison. Apparently He was just getting my attention and turning my thoughts toward health and the medical world. After finishing up a few more errands, I had one more on my list that I loathed to do. I nearly shrugged it off and didn’t go because it involved completing a “paper trail” of documents at the Army hospital here on post. Uggh and sheesh. But I knew if I didn’t do it now while I was a free woman (without kiddos) I might never do it. As I drove around looking for a place to park I passed by a woman from my ladies Bible Study group. The sight of her reminded me that another friend from that group was having surgery today. I stopped her and asked about our mutual friend and about herself. She told me of her own upcoming surgery next week and voiced many of her fears and insecurities to me. The Lord gave me the opportunity to encourage her and remind her that I will be praying for her throughout the weekend. As I walked into the building, I attempted to call my other friend who was to be operated on soon. I was not able to reach her but left a message with the support person who was there with her (her husband is downrange and was not able to come home to be with his wife during her convalescence) conveying encouragement and letting them know I was praying. Again, the Lord had provided another opportunity for me. I made my way through the building, getting my paperwork and taking it from point A to B. Along the way, I passed by a waiting area and a face caught my eye. Another lady from that same Bible study group sat in a chair in that waiting area. Another opportunity from the Lord. I stopped for a few minutes to talk with her. She too told me of her ills, her concerns, and her prognosis. She has undergone 33 surgeries for a head-neck issue she has dealt with for years. Pain is a constant companion to her, at times worse than others. And recently the pain has returned in a big way. I offered my encouragement to her as best I knew how and promised her too that I would continue to lift her up in prayer. As I left her side I was struck again by the ongoing barrage of illness and maladies that plague so many around me. I have had a few medical problems in recent past myself, but nothing of the caliber of which I encountered today. I felt compelled to say another word of thanks to Yahweh Rapha for my continued good health. Then on I went down my “paper trail” until I completed all I could for the time being. Somewhere in the midst of all that walking I realized that I was exactly where I was meant to be at this hour on this day. It was a humbling, sort of out-of-body experience to become aware of the fact that God was using me this morning. He was using me in spite of the fact that I nearly talked myself out of running that errand. And he’d used a man and a boy with a sign to catch my eye, soften my heart, and turn my thoughts toward ministry.

1 comment:

Kristi said...

Great post! And a reminder (or 2)that I needed after our family's battle with just a basic stomach flu.

Women of Worth

  Women of Worth Look closely at the women listed in Matthew’s first chapter - the lineage of Christ. What do we find? An impeccable pedigre...