Lessons from the little one

Recently I had the pleasure of doing our bedtime rituals with my son by myself, as my husband was working late that night. A deeply profound thought occurred to me, as it so often does, in the middle of our ‘goings on’. Being a 2 year-old, Dylan has at times chosen to communicate his frustrations through crying and fussing. This of course gets my attention and I intervene as best I can in a timely manner. But on this particular night he chose to “use his words” and tell me what he wanted and needed. I can’t tell you what a difference that made in my spirit and sensitivity. To hear him verbalize to me what his desires were touched me and made me desire to reach out and extend fellowship to him – to let him know that ‘yes, I am accessible and would love to help you, if only you will call on me’. At that instance, I had an “Aha!” moment with God. In my heart, the Holy Spirit showed me “It is exactly the same way with me.” God will answer us even if our cry to Him is an “Uggggh!” But there is something that captures His heart when He hears us cry “Abba, Father, help me. I need/want this.” He has always invited us to lay our burdens at His feet and through Christ has welcomed us into His presence. When we call Him by name and make our requests known to Him, we can know that we are making the Father smile.

Dylan, thank you for the lessons that you are teaching me about the Lord. So small, yet you are leading me to learn more about the God I have worshipped my whole life. From the womb your Father and I have prayed that you would one day come to know this Savior we call Jesus. I love you, son!

No comments:

Women of Worth

  Women of Worth Look closely at the women listed in Matthew’s first chapter - the lineage of Christ. What do we find? An impeccable pedigre...