Easter's cross

Phil 3:7-8 “But whatever was to my profit I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ…”

Probably my favorite hymn is “The Wonderful Cross”. The words contained within it, while brief, are powerfully packed with sentiment.

When I survey the wondrous cross

On which the prince of Glory died,

My richest gain I count but loss

And pour contempt on all my pride.

When I think about what my greatest life gifts are, aside from my salvation, I would have to say my sweet son, my loving husband, and my gracious family definitely rank up there. But even the “richest gain” that is mine through having these the Bible says is as a “loss” when compared to the greatness of knowing Christ Jesus through His sacrifice. Similarly, the things I am most proud of in life are worthy only of being seen as contemptuous, unworthy, dislikable when held up next to the beauty of the cross. As you celebrate this Easter, take time to stand in awe of the cross and what Calvary means for us. Oh the wonderful cross! The Psalmist said it this way: “Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too lofty for me to attain.” Psalm 139:6


I spent part of today getting my spring planting done. Each year I look forward to adorning my front yard with annuals to celebrate the arrival of warm weather. It brings me joy to see the bountiful colors that God has provided us come to life after a long cold winter. It is like a perpetual promise which yet again holds true. I have to think that Heaven is somewhat of an "eternal Spring season", with plants in continual bloom and mild temperatures -- and Jesus, who is our perpetual promise, forever reigning in truth and light. Praise God from whom all blessings flow!

No comments:

Women of Worth

  Women of Worth Look closely at the women listed in Matthew’s first chapter - the lineage of Christ. What do we find? An impeccable pedigre...